The name of the House honors Gaylord Probasco Harnwell, President of the University from 1953-1970. Harnwell led the University through one of its greatest periods of growth – erecting more than twenty new buildings, tripling the capacity of the dormitories, and turning Locust Street and Woodland Avenue into the quiet, beautiful pedestrian walkways we know today.
G. P. Harnwell came to the University in 1938 as a Professor of Physics, specializing in atomic and nuclear physics. He was offered the Presidency in 1953 and accepted on the condition that he remain an active Professor, teaching at least one freshman physics course each year.
Photos below appear courtesy of the University Records and Archive Center. For more information on Gaylord Probasco Harnwell, please visit the archives.